The Department of Economics, D.N. College, Meerut was established on July 8, 1958. In the beginning, the then Principal of D.N. College Dr K.D. Agarwal started teaching the Economics classes and part time teachers were also invited from Meerut College. In 1961 Dr. S. Lal was appointed as a permanent teacher but he left after some time. Till 1966 it remained only as a degree department with an optional alternative paper available to B.Sc. (PCM) group students. In 1966 P.G. Classes were started and Dr. H.C. Verma was appointed as the Head of the Department Since then new lecturers were appointed from time to time. Dr. S.A. Rizvi, Dr. Virendra Singh, Dr. R.C. Agarwal, Dr. J.C. Pant, Dr. R.S. Gupta and Dr. N.K. Taneja were appointed as permanent lecturers.
|Dr. Anupa Singh
Till the session 2007-08 there were four permanent teachers in this Department with Dr. J.C. Pant as Head and the others were Dr. Anupa Singh, Dr. Nidhi Sharma and Dr. Kavita Saxena. However Dr. Nidhi Sharma resigned in March 2008, Dr. J.C. Pant , Head of the Department since 1992, retired in June 2008. At present there are two permanent teachers in the Department with Dr. Anupa Singh as Associate Professor Head of the Departmant and Dr. Kavita Saxena as Associate Professor.
Economics Department has a glorious past Since its beginning it has produced a good chain of bank officers,officers in defence ,police and para military services , teachers, professors researchers.and managers. At College and University levels the students, of this department have performed better in sports and other curricular and extra curricular activities like debates,N.S.S.,Rovers / Rangers , cultural activities etc.
Department At a Glance :
(1) Regular internal assessment is done to assess the academic performance of students. Internal exmas, Group-discussions, seminars, paper, presentation, quiz, visit to factory sites etc are a regular feature of the department. Cultural activities are also organized sometimes for P.G.Students. Social/ Extension / Community Development /Awareness Programmes are also conducted by the Department
(2) The Department is maintaining its own library,where original and standard books are kept. Reputed Journals of economics are also maintained in the library.
(3) Three minor research projects have been sanctioned to the department teachers by UGC two in 2004 and one in 2011 they have been completed & submitted.
(4) The department has conducted four National Seminars in November 2006, January 2010 (both U.G.C Sponsored), February 2011 and March 2012 .
(5) Dissertation was started as an optional paper in MA II since 2000. Till 2010 40 dissertations have been completed under the supervision of the teachers of the department . After 2010 it was made a compulsory paper under the semester system in MA IV semester .
(6) Economics department has produced about 75 Ph.D's and some are going on Quality of research work is an important criteria in Research Supervision.
(7) Since 2004, four reputed Journals are being subscribed. They are Economic and Political Weekly (2)Southern Economist (3)RBI Bulletin (4)The Indian Journal of labour Economics
(8) Attending National and International Seminars and Conference is a regular practice of the teachers of the department. Papers are also presented by them in almost all of the Seminars.About 74 National & 09 International Seminars /conferences and 05 workshops have been attended by faculty members and 72 research papers have been presented in them.
(9) Department teachers also pay attention to the publication work. Many research articles,papers and abstracts have been published in International & National and Regional level Journals and Books. About 50 research papers have been published by the faculty members.
(10) Besides teaching, the faculty members also contribute in other administrative activities of the college and are members of various committees of the college.
(11) In order to update themselves the faculty attend a number of Orientation programmes,Refresher Courses,Faculty Devlopment Programmes, Faculty Improvment Programmes, HRD programmes,Workshops etc. Till now they have attened 15 such courese & programmes.
(12) The results of the Department have been exemplary. The students of the Department have secured a number of positions in the University Merit List. In the year 2010, 2015 and 2016 the students of the Department were toppers (Gold Medalist) of the University. In 2016 I, II and V positions in the University Merit List were from this Department.
- One student of the Department cleared NET Exam in 2016